Sunday, October 26, 2008

Waffles with Vanilla Custard!

Another great recipe from Mennonite Girls Can Cook. The vanilla custard reminds me of the one I used to eat back home in South Africa, LOVE IT.




WAFFLES (makes about 4 - 5 round waffles)
 
 
1 1/4 cups flour 
1/2 tsp salt 
2 tsp baking powder 
1/2 tsp baking soda 
1 egg and 2 egg whites - save yolks for sauce 
1 1/2 cups buttermilk 
6 Tbsp oil 
 
 
Preheat waffle iron. Mix dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Add buttermilk, oil and eggs; mix until smooth (with hand held mixer). Spread onto hot waffle iron. (leave room around edge for batter to spread) You may want to spray or wipe the Teflon with an oily paper towel, just before cooking the first waffle. It should be fine then until the next time you use it. 
 
 
VANILLA SAUCE
 
2 cups milk, divided 
2 (rounded) Tbsp flour 
2 Tbsp. sugar 
1/8 tsp. vanilla powder or 1 tsp. vanilla extract 
2 egg yolks In a small pot, heat 
1 cup milk until it begins to boil. (med heat) 
 
 
While you are doing this: mix dry ingredients, add just a little of the 2nd cup of milk, blend the egg yolks in well, and then the rest of the milk. Just before the milk in the pot begins to boil up, stir in the sauce and stir with whisk until the sauce begins to cook and thicken. Done!

10 comments:

  1. OH my does that look just yummy! I love your new header..what cuties!
    -sandy toes

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooooh lordie!! This looks divine! I am going to print this out and click on your linkie lou to the mennonite girls can cook blog!! Oh my oh my!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! Sandra, how did you become such a great cook! You tempt us readers with all these goodies. I just have to read about them and I'm done eating! :)

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. As yummy as that looks, it might just put me in a diabetic coma...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh My Gosh I can see it now... I serve this to my munchkins and they will be banging their forks on the table chanting more more give me more. Can't wait to try it. Thanks for Sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. man, those mennonite girls! I didn't realize they had a blog. I'm so there. Love all your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Man....this looks amazing too. Though I'm pretty much a syrup on waffles kind of gal, I think my girls would love this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooooooh! that looks soooooo yummy. I have no buttermilk...I could try the milk/lemon thing.
    I think this will be on the table around this house tomorrow morning.

    Love you blog.

    Niece

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmmm, doesn't THIS sound tasty! I don't have a waffle iron, but I'll bet the vanilla sauce on pancakes would be heavenly. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete