Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Cheesy Meatloaf

I just had a leftover Meatloaf sandwich for lunch, have you noticed how the meatloaf seems to taste even better the next day???

I love meatloaf, it's pure comfort yumminess for me, and I also like trying different combinations, a little of this, a bunch of that and see what turns out.

I've made a few meatloaves in my time and I've posted them on the blog, but this next recipe comes from an old cookbook.  It's pages are turning yellow and becoming really thin to the touch, the cover is slowly pulling away from the binder, but inside text is still ripe with amazing comfort foods, good home cooking using what you have in your pantry.

I adapted the recipe slightly from the book which is a compilation of Elementary School Parents, dated back to 1968.

Cheesy Meatloaf

Cheesy Meatloaf

2 lbs ground beef
1/3 cup milk
1/2 onion, chopped
2 eggs, beaten
Shredded cheese (I used mozzarella)
1 tsp. salt

Soak bread in milk;

Cheesy Meatloaf

mix with onion, eggs, beef, about 1 cup of shredded cheese and salt.

Cheesy Meatloaf

In a baking pan, spray with non stick spray. Add half of the meat mixture,

Cheesy Meatloaf

shape into a rectangle. Sprinkle another cup of shredded cheese on top (you could also do slices).

Cheesy Meatloaf

Top with the remaining meat mixture, press down on the sides to seal and shape into a nice loaf.

Cheesy Meatloaf

Bake at 375 degrees for 1 hour.

Cheesy Meatloaf

1 comment:

  1. I'll have to try this. I'm not totally crazy about meatloaf, but it's one of my husband's favorites. Also, since I'm obsessed with cooking and everything kitchen, one night while watching infomercials, I told a friend that I needed the Perfect Meatloaf Pan. After giving me a hard time about it for about 2 weeks, he brought me one. Haha! I never thought he would, and I was half joking when I said something to him about needing it. I still have yet to use it though and it's been about 3 weeks. I'm starting to feel guilty.

    ReplyDelete