Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Cornbread Chicken Pot Pie

Now THIS is different, I'm so used to a biscuit topping or a flaky pastry topping when I make pot pie, but using cornbread was completely different and new to me.

It turned out pretty good, I won't say it was a favorite around here but I think that's due to the fact that it was something very different to what my family is used to.

This recipe comes from Gooseberry Patch's 101 Hearty Recipes.

2011_10030004

Cornbread Chicken Pot Pie

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
2 10-3/4 oz. cans cream of chicken soup
16-0z. container sour cream
pepper to taste
1 t. dried basil
16-0z. pkg. frozen mixed vegetables
2 8-1/2 oz. pkgs. cornbread mix
1 c. shredded cheddar cheese

Evenly arrange chicken in a greased 13"x9" baking pan. In a bowl, mix together soup, sour cream, pepper and basil. Add frozen vegetables; spread over chicken in pan. Prepare cornbread mixes according to package directions; spread batter evenly to cover vegetable mixture. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 425 degrees for 25 minutes, or until golden and bubbly. Let cool for 15 minutes. Serves 4 to 6.

2 comments: