Grandma Chiquinha's Orange Cake
You all know what happened with the Orange cake when I tried to make on the other day, let's just say it wasn't one of my shining moments in the kitchen, it downright depressed me LOL
Anyway, I had this other recipe sitting around decided to give it a try and YUMMY did it turn out good. It produces this really moist orange cake, it's just wonderful and the longer you leave it laying around the moister it becomes. Nothing like take a bite of that orange flavor exploding in your mouth.
So here we go, I've included step by step photos for you:
* 4 eggs, separated
* 500 ml (2 cups) sugar
* 500 ml (2 cups) all-purpose flour
* 1 tbsp. baking powder
* 500 ml (2 cups) freshly squeezed orange juice
1.Preheat oven to 350° F (180° C). Grease and flour a 13 X 9-inch (3.5 L) metal cake pan.
2. In bowl and using an electric mixer, beat egg whites until stiff.
3. In a separate large bowl, beat egg yolks with sugar.
In another bowl, sift together flour and baking powder; add to yolk mixture
alternately with 1 cup (250 mL) orange juice, making three additions of dry and two of wet.
Fold in egg whites. Pour into prepared cake pan.
4. Bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean.
After removing cake from the oven, use a fork to pierce holes on top of the cake and pour remaining orange juice on top.
5. Cool cake in pan on wire rack. Cut into squares to serve.