Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Tamale Pie!

I won't lie, I LOVE Mexican food, any kind. There's just something about it that screams comfort food to me, much like Portuguese food.

So last night I was in the mood for Tamale Pie and luckily enough, my new cookbook from Sandra Lee had a recipe for it. I've tried other versions before but not this one, so out comes the book and the ingredients and I set to work. I kicked everyone out of the kitchen, just because I am mean like my peace and quiet when I cook LOL

TAMALE PIE
Credit: Sandra Lee's Slow Cooker Cookbook



Recipe:Now let's get cooking:


The recipe calls for Diced tomatoes and chilies, but I used just the plain diced tomatoes because the Salsa Verde had a good kick to it and I wanted my children to eat dinner, not use this as another excuse to get down from the dinner table after one bite. Plus, I think with just the Salsa it makes it spicy enough, but hey if you're all for heat, go for it.


In a skillet, brown the ground beef

Drain, and return to the skillet

Add 1 cup of Salsa Verde

1 can of diced tomatoes and chilies (again, I just used the plain diced tomatoes)

Give it a good stir. I tell you, I'm already craving it LOL

Transfer to a casserole dish *or to your mouth, whichever you wish*.......no really, I'm just kidding, transfer it to the CASSEROLE DISH LOL

In the meantime, in a small bowl, combine 1 can of creamed corn and 1 package of cornbread mix.

I could eat it just like that......I know it's gross, but I could *shrug*

Spread it over the meat mixture in the casserole

Sprinkle the sliced olives over it. The recipe calls for black olives but my kids HATE black olives, so I used the ones I had on hand. It doesn't matter, it's not like Olive Oil is going to bring Popeye to beat me up over it LOL

Bake in a preheated 350º oven for 45 to 50 minutes or until bubbly.


Top with shredded cheese and bake for another 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.

8 comments:

  1. Ok ... after your other post, I just had to come over and leave you a comment !! :) This does indeed look YUMMY ! Like something you couldn't resist a second serve of !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks yummy! I will have to try. I'm so glad that you are enjoying my adoption journey blog! Please continue to follow along...I know it wont' be boring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Yum.. This is what is for dinner tonight! Commissary here I come!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sandra you are my cooking hero=)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness. I made this tonight. YOU are a rockstar. Seriously I have been having some sort of dinner "block" for a while - not knowing what to make. Two nights in a row I've cooked your recipes (this tonight, last night the chicken/sausage ragu) and everybody LOVES it. My husband thanks you. My kids thank you. I thank you too!! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bonnie - It's REALLY good :)

    Billie - Give it a try and let me know what you think :)

    Cara - Can't wait to hear what you thought of it :)

    Court - I love ya girl....you're too sweet :)

    Steph - I'm SO glad you enjoyed it and the husband and kids too. Hope you find other yummy recipes on my blog, I'm happy that you like them :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay.. so I've had the ingredients to make this.. and finally did tonight.. it's in the oven, and smells DIVINE!!! I snuck a taste of the meat mixture.. YUMMO! Thanks for such a great recipe..

    Cara
    http://deepfriedapplepies.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was browsing recipe blogs and came across your tamale pie recipe. Like you, I love Mexican food and knew I had to try it. I made it tonight for dinner and it was a delicious – I had to go back for seconds. I will be adding this to my favorites, thanks.

    ReplyDelete