Friday, January 04, 2008

Pasteis de Peixe - Fish Cakes

Last night for dinner I made little fish cakes, they're so easy to make and the kids LOVE them....not to mention that they're tastier and healthier than the store bought Fish Sticks etc.

I've been on a Portuguese food kick lately, I just can't get enough of the recipes that remind me of my childhood and my greatgrandmother.


Pasteis de Peixe


1 lb Flounder Fillets
1 small onion, finely diced
1 egg
breadcrumbs
salt and pepper to taste
parsley


In a small pot, cook the fish, remove but don't drain the water. We're going to use this water to cook some potatoes.


In a bowl, add the onion and the egg. Take the fish and shred it into the bowl.

Now add the breadcrumbs (just enough for the mixture to stick together), the parsley, salt and pepper and garlic powder to taste.


Mix everything well

Form little oval cakes with the mixture......this pretty much the shape we use when we make the Pasteis de Bacalhau (Cod Fish cakes)

Fry them in hot oil until brown

Oh yum...........I tell you they taste SO good and I had NONE left, they were gone at dinner LOL


Now for the potatoes, I do a simple side dish that goes great with the fish.

In the water that you cooked the fish, add some cut up potatoes.....I used 3 medium sized potatoes.

Once they're cooked, remove them into a serving dish.

Add butter

Then sprinkle some garlic powder, salt and parsley to taste.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Looks wonderful! I will be making this very soon as I love fish and have been looking for an easy recipe to make fish cakes.
    Thanks so much for sharing.
    Carolyn xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember my parents would make these all the time! Ahh the memories! I would eat these with fried dumplings!

    If your interested in learning any computer tips, check my website out: PCLicious Video Tutorials

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made this for my kids tonight, and they really enjoyed it, as did I. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete