Thursday, December 18, 2008

Bifanas - Pork Sandwiches

One of the most common food items on a Portuguese item will be the Prego or Prego no Pao, which is a steak sandwich usually served with fries or salad. It's delicious and it's so easy to prepare. But then you get the pork version, or the Bifana, and these you will see on many restaurant menus too, it's the kind of meal you would order for lunch and let me tell you, the garlic and wine and all that yumminess together makes for an amazing sandwich. So here's how I make mine.... 

 


Bifanas - Pork Sandwiches


Pork loin chops or pork cubed steaks (you need at least one for each person) 
salt and pepper 
garlic powder 
paprika 
bay leaf 
white wine 
Portuguese Rolls (or any other roll that is thick and doughy) 
 
 
The whole trick to getting that wonderful taste is to marinate the meat for at least a whole day before you cook it. You can do it overnight or first thing in the morning so you can use it for dinner, the longer it sits in that marinade, the tastier it will be. 
 
 
I roll mine up and put them in the tupperware bowl and then pour about 1/2 cup of white wine over. Cover it up and place it in the refrigerator. When you're ready to cook, add some olive oil to a skillet and then add the pork steaks, top with some butter and fry until cooked through and nice and brown.

Yum!

Once they're cooked, slice your bread rolls in half and then take them and dip them into the drippings in the pan. You don't want to cover the bread, just get a little of that tasty sauce on them.

Slice the sandwiches in half and serve with some homemade fries or salad.

8 comments:

  1. My husband would love this..he works in the pork industry!
    -sandy toes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey-just a visitor to your blog. I used your white bean chicken chili recipe and won our Christmas chili cookoff tonight! Great recipe-my family loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, it looks delicious. I love sandwiches, so this is a great combo for a sandwich!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We made these last night and they were wonderful!!! My only complaint is that my house still had that wonderful smell this morning - but at least it's a good smell. Of course now it's making me hungry!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bom dia Sandra estas bifanas as 9 da manha abriram me o apetite!! beijocas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember being stationed in the Azore Islands, Portugal with the USAF and these, pregos, spread cheese and wine were my meal plan for 18 months. Thank you for the trip back to a wonderful world

    ReplyDelete