Monday, December 08, 2008

Frango Estufado - Portuguese skillet chicken

Another family favorite, I mean this one really makes me think of home. There's something about cooking chicken infused with garlic and onions and wine....to die for. So here's how I make mine, remember that I eyeball everything I rarely ever follow a recipe unless it's something I'm trying for the first time. 

 
Frango Estufado - Portuguese Skillet Chicken
 
1 whole chicken, cut into pieces 
1 medium onion, sliced 
5 garlic cloves, chopped 
5 Tbsp. butter 
1 cup white whine 
salt and pepper 
 
 
In a skillet melt the butter, add the chicken pieces and season with salt and pepper. Chop the garlic cloves and add to the skillet, next add the wine and onions and cook on high until the chicken is brown on both sides.... 
 
turn the heat down to medium and simmer for about an hour. Keep an eye on it and add water as needed so it doesn't dry out and burn.  You want to have a nice gravy left over. 
 
 
Serve with Portuguese roasted potatoes.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sandra this sounds delicious ,I think this will be my Birthday dinner.thanks for the blog visit..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm ~ this sounds and looks divine!

    ReplyDelete