Monday, December 15, 2008

Vanilla Caramels!

Alright ladies, here's the deal, remember those yummy caramels I made last year?

I've had a few of you try them out and then email me and tell me that even though they're delicious they turned into toffee instead of caramels. I wasn't quite sure at first why on earth that would be happening to you guys, so tonight I made a batch and ended up with hard toffee as well.

The only thing I can think of is that I may have cooked them on too high a heat when it's supposed to be slowly cooked over low or medium heat for 15 minutes or until it reaches a temperature of about 248º F.

I'm still going to keep the other recipe and needless to say this toffee that I ended up with is NOT going to be thrown out because it's just that good, but I am in search of a different caramel recipe and found one that I'll be trying tomorrow. So here it is for you, if anyone else wants to try, if you do, let me know what you think.

[caramels+2.JPG]

Vanilla Caramels

2 cups sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1 cup condensed milk

1 1/2 cups milk
1/3 cup butter or fat
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla

Cook sugar, corn syrup, condensed milk, and milk together in a saucepan, stirring constantly until sugar is dissolved. Cook slowly, stirring occasionally to prevent burning, until temperature is 248 F., or until mixture forms a firm ball when tested in cold water. Remove from heat, add butter, salt, and vanilla and mix well. Pour into a greased pan. When cold remove from pan, cut in cubes and wrap each caramel in wax paper.
Recipe from a 1953 cookbook

1 comment:

  1. OH my..I love caramels! I have never made them but those look just delightful!!!
    -sandy toes

    ReplyDelete