Lemon Meringue Pies.....Yes PIES!
My lemon tree is filled to the brim with delicious, huge, juicy lemons which means I get to give most of them away and still have more than I can handle.
I've gotten really good at making use of them, lemon meringue pie, lemon bars, lemonade, lemon cordial and whatever else lemon you can think of.
I had a bunch of lemons fall to the ground today and I didn't want them to go to waste, so I got in the kitchen and whipped up two Lemon Meringue Pies.
Two different recipes, both DELICIOUS!
GRANDMA'S LEMON MERINGUE PIE
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 lemons, juiced and zested
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 (9 inch) pie crust, baked
- 4 egg whites
- 6 tablespoons white sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. To Make Lemon Filling: In a medium saucepan, whisk together 1 cup sugar, flour, cornstarch, and salt. Stir in water, lemon juice and lemon zest. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until mixture comes to a boil. Stir in butter. Place egg yolks in a small bowl and gradually whisk in 1/2 cup of hot sugar mixture. Whisk egg yolk mixture back into remaining sugar mixture. Bring to a boil and continue to cook while stirring constantly until thick. Remove from heat. Pour filling into baked pastry shell.
3. To Make Meringue: In a large glass or metal bowl, whip egg whites until foamy. Add sugar gradually, and continue to whip until stiff peaks form. Spread meringue over pie, sealing the edges at the crust.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes, or until meringue is golden brown.
NOTE: I substituted milk for the water which gave it a more creamy consistency. Also, next time I'm going to add in more egg whites to make an even bigger meringue.
LEMON MERINGUE PIE
Adapted from: Paula Deen
Adapted from: Paula Deen
* 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
* 1/2 cup lemon juice
* 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
* 3 egg yolks
* 1 (8-inch) prebaked pie shell or crumb crust
* 3 egg whites
* 1/4 teaspoon cream or tartar
* 1/4 cup sugar
NOTE: I didn't follow her directions for the meringue, I used the same recipe as the other recipe above.
In medium bowl, combine milk, lemon juice, and zest; blend in egg yolks. Pour into cooled crust.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
Beat egg whites with cream of tartar until soft peaks from. Gradually beat in the sugar until stiff. Spread over filling; seal to edge of crust. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until meringue is golden brown.