Monday, May 28, 2007

Bacalhau com Natas (Cod with Cream)


I love cod fish and it's one of the things that I truly miss about being at home...it's really hard for me to find good Cod Fish here in Idaho, and if I want the typical salt dried cod then I have to get it online which is very expensive OR I have my family send it through the mail :)

This is one of my favorite ways to prepare cod fish.

Cod with Cream Sauce
(Bacalhau de natas)

Ingredients:

  • Cod (about 2 or 3 pieces)
  • 3 medium potatoes or 4 small ones, diced
  • 1 package heavy cream (about 1 1/2 pints)
  • 2 cups milk
  • margarine or butter
  • 2 tbsp flour
  • 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • Cook the cod, if using salt code then remember to soak it for 24 hours previously to making this dish.

    Fry the potatoes, just until tender then add the margarina or butter and flour and cook stirring constantly. Add the milk, heavy cream, salt and pepper to taste.

    Fry the onion in a little bit of olive oil, just until transparent.

    In an oven proof dish place the slightly fried onion, the cod and then the fried potatoes, topping with shredded cheese. Place in the oven until golden brown.

    About 375º F for about 20 minutes or so.

    7 comments:

    1. I really wan tto make this, but I need a little help.... 1/2 pint of heavy cream ? 3-4 potatoes ( yukons, with skin or peeled? ), diced and skillet fried in butter? Sound about right?



      Looks yummy!


      MJ

      ReplyDelete
    2. I just fixed the recipe, I wrote it down so fast yesterday that ended up forgetting some things.

      This is what happens when you've been cooking without actual recipes for such a long time, I just eyeball everything LOL

      Let me know how it turns out.

      ReplyDelete
    3. looks very yammy, the cod got to be for 2 days in water and we got to change it 4 or 5 times a day. otherwise it will b very salty, portuguese recipe

      ReplyDelete
    4. Please help!
      Should I first boil, then fry the pototoes???

      ReplyDelete
    5. Also....2 or 3 pieces of cod...would you say that is 2 to 3 cups of cod???
      THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!!!

      ReplyDelete
    6. I am making this with regular cod, i was wondering if i need to add some salt to the recipie to make up for the salt cod.

      ReplyDelete
    7. Fry the potatoes but not completely until they look more baked than fried. I use nutmeg too for the sauce.

      ReplyDelete