Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Sopa de Agrioes! (Watercress Soup)


Growing up one of my favorite soups was Sopa de Agrioes or Watercress Soup. It's so delicious and filling and again I have wonderful memories of my greatgrandmother preparing it in the kitchen, she would let me help her and I thought that was the best thing on earth......I must have started showing interest in cooking at around 5 or 6 years old.

There was nothing on earth I would rather be doing than sitting at her feet, in the middle of the kitchen floor, with my play pots and pans, throwing pepper and oil into them, I remember sometimes she would say "Olha, toma uma batata"...."here, here's a potato for you"...I would get SO excited that I actually had a potato to add to my pot LOL

Anyway, she taught me my love for food and I love her for it.



SOPA DE AGRIOES (WATERCRESS SOUP)


2 potatoes
1 big onion, or 2 small ones
1 or 2 leeks
A bunch of Watercress
Salt
Olive oil


Bring a pot of water with the salt, to a boil....in the meantime wash, peel and cut into small pieces the onions, potatoes and leeks.

As soon as the water is boiling, add the onions, potatoes and leeks and let them cook well. When they're cooked and are at the stage where they're almost falling apart, you drizzle with olive oil and then using a hand blender, blend everything well.

In the meantime, wash the watercress, separate the little leaves. Let the soup come to a boil and then add in the watercress letting them simmer over low heat.

Hint: You can substitute the watercress for spinach or any other green, I just prefer the watercress.

2 comments: