Wednesday, February 06, 2008

CHEESY KIELBASA BAKE!!!!

Love this recipe, it makes two 13 x 9 inch pans so you can feed a big crowd, or freeze one for later.



INGREDIENTS

  • 12 ounces uncooked elbow macaroni
  • 2 pounds kielbasa (Polish) sausage, halved lengthwise and sliced
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise and sliced
  • 2 medium carrots, grated
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 (26 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
  • 1 (14.5 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1 (15 ounce) container ricotta cheese
  • 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
  • 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 2 green onions, chopped


Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain and set aside.


In a large skillet, brown the sausage in oil over medium heat.


Add the onions, zucchini, carrots and garlic;


cook and stir for 5-6 minutes or until crisp-tender.


Stir in spaghetti sauce and tomatoes.


Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.


In each of two greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dishes, layer a fourth of the macaroni and meat sauce.


Combine the egg and ricotta cheese; spoon a fourth over sauce.
Sprinkle with a fourth of the cheddar and mozzarella cheeses and the green onions.

Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes. Uncover; bake 15 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Serve one casserole. Cool second casserole; cover and freeze for up to 2 months.

9 comments:

  1. Ok I have now decided to start doing a menu for the week. While Matt was here I told him about you doing it & he thought it was a good idea. He thought it might save money & anyway he can save money....HE DOES!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Janice, I'm glad you like the idea, it's helped me with the groceries and the menu planning :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok ... this looks soooooo good! I think I said that at your other blog too ! ha ha. But it does ! I'm bookmarking it and putting it in a file called "Winter meals." You see, it's summer here so a meal like this is too hot ... but come winter ... um um good !! Can't wait !

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, looks awesome, and fantastic that you've included all the pictures.

    I wonder if I'll be able to hide that there's ricotta? LOL, my dh can't stand the stuff . . . he's missing out in my opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OKay...I know it is 8 in the morning, but that still looks good...even at 8 AM!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was a HIT! :) I've tried dozens of your recipes - and haven't run into any we wouldn't make again. I substituted turkey keilbasa and it was yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mines in the oven right now!
    I'll let you know how it turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for this recipe. My kids enjoyed it and DH took leftovers to work. To quote my kids "this ones a keeper".

    ReplyDelete