Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Chicken Tetrazzini!

Comfort food for me is creamy, casseroles, spaghetti, chicken and just yumminess all in one heaping warm pile of gooey cheesy......wait.........I got all carried away.

I meant to say that comfort food for me is Chicken Tetrazzini, it's always a winner in my house, so for tonight this is what we had.

If you've never tried it, you don't know what you're missing, seriously, make it and then sit back in awe and watch your kids smile at you and tell you that you're the best "cooker" in the whole world....while your husband looks at you and tells you that it's "oh so darn good". Isn't that what life is about???

So let's get cooking......go grab a couple ingredients:

CHICKEN TETRAZZINI



14-1/2 oz. can chicken broth
8-oz. pkg spaghetti, uncooked

1/2 c. onion, diced

1 green pepper, chopped
4-1/2 oz. can sliced mushrooms
2-1/2 c. chicken, cooked and diced

2 c. milk

1/2 c. all-purpose flour

2/3 c. margarine melted

2 c. shredded Cheddar cheese
1/3 c. round buttery crackers, crushed

Bring chicken broth to a boil in a stockpot; add spaghetti and cook until tender. Drain and set aside. Combine onion, green pepper and mushrooms in a skillet; cook in mushroom juice until soft.
Add vegetables and chicken to cooked spaghetti in a large bowl; mix well and pour in a lightly greased 13"x9" baking pan.

In a separate bowl, combine milk, flour, margarine and cheese; pour over spaghetti mixture.
Sprinkle crushed crackers over the top. Bake at 350º degrees for 50 minutes. Serves 6 to 8.


I'm a rebel so I tend to veer off the recipes sometimes and create shortcuts for myself, hey I don't have all day to stand in the kitchen right?

Let's chop up that onion and green pepper

In a big skillet, add the can of mushrooms *undrained* and the onions and green peppers.

The recipe calls for cooked chicken but I like making everything from scratch, so I used 1 lb of chicken tenders, cut into small pieces.

Now add it to the skillet

Now I rebel again and grab the garlic powder, though the recipe doesn't ask for it, but who cares? I'm sure there's no Garlic Police watching around the corner!

In the meantime you pour the chicken broth into a stockpot or a plain ol' pot. (I don't know why they have to get so technical LOL) and cook your spaghetti in it.

I personally found that there wasn't enough liquid for me, so I added a little bit of water.

In a separate bowl, combine the milk

1/2 cup of flour

Mmmmmmm cheese

And the melted margarine

Drain the spaghetti and then add the chicken and veggies to it

Pour into a baking dish........I don't know about you but I could eat it like that.

Pour the milk mixture over it....

Bake in a 350º oven for 50 minutes.


YUM! I can almost smell it right now, it's SO good. Speaking of which, I'm off to eat my dinner, why don't you come with me, I have plenty to share :)

8 comments:

  1. I haven't had this since I was a little girl - it was one of grandma's favorites to make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks SOOOOOOO good! I must remember to put it on next week's menu!

    ReplyDelete
  3. See, when you grow up in a Mexican home, all I know is chili and rice... this looks AMAZING!!! definitely trying this!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never had chicken tetrazini before! It looks good! I posted it to my del.icio.us!

    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am making this for supper tonight! It looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my mother in law favorite dishes to make, and a Sunday favorite for the whole family!

    ReplyDelete