Wednesday, February 20, 2008

English Scones!



I LOVE scones, so I usually make these for breakfast or even as an afternoon snack with a nice hot cup of tea.


ENGLISH SCONES

2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 t. salt
1 T. baking powder
1/4 c. plus 1 T. sugar, divided
1/4 c. butter
1/4 c. raisins
1/2 c. plus 1 T. whipping cream, divided
1 egg, beaten

Mix together flour, salt, baking powder and 1/4 cup sugar; cut in butter. Fold in raisins, then mix in 1/2 cup cream and egg. Roll dough into a 3/4-inch thick circle; place on an ungreased baking sheet. Brush with remaining cream and sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or until golden. Cut into wedges. Makes 8 servings.



So there's what you need to make these scones, you can tell by the ingredients that it's good but also fattening, but who cares right?

First we mix in the flour, the baking powder and salt

Then we pull out the knife and hack away at the butter....it's so violent in here sometimes LOL
Now jokes aside, you CUT in the butter.


In go the raisins, now I LOVE raisins so I find that the 1/4 cup is not enough for me, but just go by whatever you like.

Add one beaten egg

Then comes my favorite thing, the whipping cream.......dagnabit why does it have to be so fattening, I could easily eat it on everything, or chug it down just like that. Well, maybe not but still, it's too darn good.

This is my dough before rolling it into a circle. Now one thing, I usually have to add a little bit more cream otherwise I find the dough too dry.
Whatever, another reason to use more cream, it's fine by me LOL

Roll the dough into a thick 3/4 inch circle......sit back and stare at it for a bit because you realize from this angle it looks like a huge chocolate chip cookie. Trick the kids into believing it really is one and watch their faces when they realize it's raisins and not chocolate chips LOL

Brush 1 T. whipping cream over top

Sprinkle with 1 T. sugar, or more if you think it's not enough. What? I like sugar ok?

Bake in a 400º degree oven for about 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into wedges.....then grab one while it's hot, slice it in half and slather on butter. That's what I DO!

12 comments:

  1. Oh I have been looking for a recipe for scones! Thanks! seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your recipes, especially the pictures. I have tried two so far (triple chocolate mess & cheesy kielbasa bake). Today I plan to try the cabbage rolls, and next will be these scones! You make it seem so easy. And delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need this recipe to go with my Lemon Curd! Yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy Yum Yum. You know, I'd never had a scone before I moved to Australia 10 years ago !! Check out this super easy, three ingredient scone recipe I posted to Leah's Recipe Exchange a while back. SCONES WITH JAM AND CREAM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those sure look good!! If you're not into raisins, can't you substitute chocolate chips or something similar? Thanks for the recipe, i'll be making these very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I included a link for your scones on my Lemon Curd recipe, http://www.3sidesofcrazy.com/2008/02/lemon-curd.html. Your scones are yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks fantastic. I'm definitely going to make it :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the idea of the cream on top and the little extra sugar! So pretty!

    And yes mrssoup, I make scones similar to these with Craisins and white chocolate chips... SO-O yummy!

    I am going over to check out the lemon curd recipe too! Lemon... YUM!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. YUM YUM YUM!!! I used your recipe yesterday - and substituted 1/4 cup of chopped apple and added cinnamin - HOORAY! What an easy recipe! The funniest part, is that I thought I was making a treat for ME - my girls (ages 2 & 5) loved them too!! Thanks for the idea!!

    Ruth :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Its in the oven! I used frozen blueberries. Hopefully it will work out.

    ReplyDelete