I love scones, whether they're just plain or sweet or savory, so when I saw this recipe over at Farmgirl Fare, I jumped for joy. I mean, cheese AND green onions in a scone?!?!?!?!? To die for!
I've just fixed a batch to go with our dinner of Lemon Oregano Pork Chops. Yum!
Susan's Savory Cheese & Scallion Scones
Makes 8 large scones
2-1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
1Tablespoon + 2 teaspoons baking powder*
1 teaspoon salt
4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (I use sheep/goat milk)
4 ounces cream cheese, softened in microwave 15-30 seconds (you want it very soft)
4 scallions (green onions), green & white parts, chopped
1 cup half&half or whole milk
Optional Egg glaze:
Beat well with a fork:
1 egg & 2 Tbsp. milk
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Combine 2-1/2 cups flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
3. Add cheeses & toss gently with a fork until combined.
4. Add scallions & toss gently with a fork until combined.
5. Beat half & half (or milk) with egg and gently fold into dry ingredients, mixing lightly until a soft dough forms. Add up to 1/2 cup additional flour if the dough is too sticky.
6. On a floured surface, gently pat dough into a circle approximately 1-inch thick. The key to tender scones is to handle the dough with a light touch and as little as possible. With a sharp knife (I use a large serrated knife dipped in flour) cut the circle into 8 wedges and place them on a greased or parchment-lined** heavy duty baking sheet.
7. Brush tops and sides of scones with egg glaze if desired, and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Serve warm, or cool completely and refrigerate or freeze in an airtight container.