Monday, January 26, 2009

Fish Shepherd's Pie!

I'm pretty lucky in where my children love fish so this is one of those comforting meals that I make once in a while, I adapt it and change it out by adding in carrots or corn or green beans or whatever. 

It's always a different veggie that goes in, today I used peas. 

 102_0233

 FISH SHEPHERD'S PIE 

 
1 lb flounder, cooked 
Mashed potatoes ( I used 6 medium potatoes) 
olive oil 
garlic powder 
onion flakes 
salt and pepper 
paprika 
cream 
1 cup peas 
1 beaten egg and a little bit of milk 
 
 Cook the fish, then shred making sure you get any bones out. I still tell the kids to be careful when they're eating in case one of the tiny little bones got away. 
 
102_0218 
 
 In a skillet, add a little bit of olive oil, the fish,garlic, onion, salt and pepper, paprika and the peas. 
 
102_0219 
 
Cook over medium heat for 2 or 3 minutes. 
 
 102_0220 
 
Add the cream (I just eyeball, I think I used about a cup). Continue cooking for a minute or so more until it is heated through. 
 
102_0223 
 
 If you see that it's too watery, add a sprinkle or so of cornstarch and using a wire whisk beat well until combined and thickened. In an oven proof dish, layer half of the mashed potatoes, the fish mixture and the remaining mashed potatoes. 
 
102_0225 
 
Beat an egg with a little bit of milk and then pour over the potatoes. 
 
102_0226 
 
Using a spoon, spread it out evenly to cover the top. Bake in a 400º oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown. 

2 comments:

  1. I have never ever even thought to try fish this way....BRILLIANT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen the fish version of shepherds pie. I love fish and love shepherd's pie, but not sure if I could sway my family into trying it. You know... teens and picky eaters!!! I might give it a shot though.

    ReplyDelete