Saturday, January 10, 2009

Meat Pie!

Growing up in South Africa I remember the small pies that the stores used to sell, cornish, curry, vegetable etc. I loved these, as a matter of fact in High School I remember walking to town with my friend and we had one every afternoon.

This meat pie reminds me of those but just in a bigger version and it's extremely versatile. My grandmother makes one with just ham and cheese and it's SO good. I like the fact that I can substitute the ground beef for chicken and I can throw in veggies or leave them out....like I said, very easy to change.

Here's the one I fixed for dinner, it always gets rave reviews from the family and the kids devour it, even the pugs beg for a bite LOL

Photobucket

MEAT PIE

1 box puff pastry, thawed
1 lb ground beef
1 envelope onion gravy
1/3 cup white wine
salt and pepper
Ham slices
Cheese slices (I used Pepper Jack this time)
beaten egg (for brushing the pastry)

In a skillet cook the ground beef, onion gravy and white wine until meat is brown. Don't drain, you'll have a nice moist mixture. Set aside and let cool.

On a cookie sheet (you'll notice I always cover mine with foil, it's just to make it easier for clean up).....open the box of puff pastry and place half of it on the sheet.

Photobucket

When the meat is cool, spoon onto the pastry to within an inch or so of the edges.

Photobucket

Add a layer of ham

Photobucket

a layer of the cheese

Photobucket

then top with the remaining half of the dough.....pinch the edges to seal

Photobucket

and then take each corner of the pie and give the dough edge a little twist. It just makes it prettier.

Photobucket

Brush with the beaten egg

Photobucket

and bake in a 450º for about 25 to 30 minutes or until puffy and brown. Remove from oven, let sit for 5 minutes and then cut into rectangles.

Photobucket

7 comments:

  1. OMG!!! This sounds so good!!! Going to put this on my menu for next week!!! YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This really sounds awesome! It took me back, a friend that is from England, makes something very similar with potatoes and ground beef and bacon. So it took me there and I can't wait to make this for the family! Thank you so much for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds great!! I would love to know the other ways that you "change it up". I love those types of recipes, too.
    Thanks for sharing- I just love your recipes. Your orange chicken is one of my favorite things to make right now!! I've got a few more bookmarked that I haven't gotten around to yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks really good and simple too.
    If I keep this up I won't have to meal plan anymore- I'll just make what you're having for supper!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another recipe I've saved to try out on hubby! I think he will LOVE this one too!

    Sherry

    frugaldomesticgoddess

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made this Monday night along with your butter and garlic potatoes. Oh how my family loved it! I will definitely be making it again. Tonight I am making your Pork Sandwiches. I'll let you know how we like those also, but I am sure we will love them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks so good. It now has a spot on my must try list.

    ReplyDelete