Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Tomato Rice

As Portuguese as it gets.  I remember eating this rice during my childhood and even though I didn't like tomatoes back then, I always loved this rice, cause you know....you can always push the tomatoes aside, which is actually what my own children do nowadays  HA!

Tomato RiceI don't have a recipe for this, I make it from memory and I've been making it since I was a teenager, like a gazillion years ago.

You start with a little olive oil in a pan, add one small onion, finely diced, 1 garlic clove, diced and about 2 medium tomatoes, diced.  Add some salt, pepper, paprika and a bay leaf.  Stir and cook over medium heat until the onion is transparent.

Tomato RiceAdd the rice (again, depends on how much you want so follow the directions on your rice package), add the water, stir well and bring to a boil.

Turn the heat down to medium and cook for a further 12 to 14 minutes.  Keep an eye on it though, if it runs out of water, add a little more, you don't want it to burn.

Tomato RiceWhen rice is done, turn it off, remove it from the heat and let it sit for about 10 minutes before serving.  Enjoy :)

4 comments: