Sunday, September 18, 2011

Chocolate Chip and Banana Pancake Squares

Pancakes, who doesn't love them?

But how many times do you sit there flipping pancake after pancake and by the time you get to the last one the first ones are cold and yucky?  And if you're making them for a crowd, forget it, there never seem to be enough and by the time YOU sit down to eat everyone is done and off doing their own thing.

Chocolate Chip Banana Pancake Squares

While making a big batch of pancakes for breakfast one morning and for freezing for mid week quick breakfasts, I realized that I didn't want to sit there in front of the griddle forever and a day, so I made the pancake mix and then dumped it all into a 9x13 and popped it into the oven.

Once it was cooked all the way through, I removed it and cut it into squares, as if I was making brownies.  The kids loved it and so no more flipping pancakes, unless I'm making a very small batch.

Chocolate Chip Banana Pancake Squares

Chocolate Chip and Banana Pancake Squares


Pancake Mix (just follow the directions for the amount you want)
Chocolate Chips
Banana slices
Parchment Paper

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. I like using sheets of parchment paper and I make them longer than the pan so that I can use the sides to lift it off the pan when done.

Prepare the pancake mix as usual. Add the chocolate chips, then pour half of the batter into the pan. Depending on the amount of batter you have you may need to use a smaller pan like an 8x8.

Add the banana slices.

Chocolate Chip Banana Pancake Squares

Pour the rest of the batter over the bananas, slowly cause you don't want to disturb the bottom layer of batter, if it does mix a bit, it's ok.

Pop into the oven and bake for about 30 minutes or until golden brown. Insert a toothpick into the center to make sure it's done, if it doesn't come out clean just cook for a little longer.

Lift the pancake off the pan by using the parchment paper.

Chocolate Chip Banana Pancake Squares

Cut into squares and serve drizzled with syrup.

Chocolate Chip Banana Pancake Squares

16 comments:

  1. Sandra - - This is great. We love pancakes but when I make them I am at the griddle forever. I also double/triple the batch and make extras to have the next day for the kids. Ever since I was a child, chocolate chip pancakes were our favorites! I will have to give these a try next weekend. :-) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you, I get stuck at the griddle and it's annoying LOL Hope you enjoy trying them this way :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guess what I am making tomorrow!?! Yum!! Thanks so much for sharing this!!

    I pinned it too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sure you could put any thing in it. Berries, apples and cinnamon, etc. Has anyone tried other varieties?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome idea! I'm trying this ASAP! Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you like them and thank you for the pin :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes Luci you can, I've made them before with a myriad of different flavors and fruits :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved 'em!

    And you are so welcome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Guess what my hubby is making me for my birthday breakfast tomorrow morning?! Yummy! I can't wait to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hate making pancakes - not patience for standing there :) I am trying these in the morning before work/school. Easy and quick - Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. AMAZING!! Made them before we left the house this morning and took them to school AND no syrup needed! Delicious and easy - thanks!

    ReplyDelete