Saturday, September 10, 2011

Coconut Almond Granola

Have you ever made your own granola???  Because if you haven't you don't know what you're missing out on.

I first started making granola a while ago while frustrated that eating oatmeal was something akin to chewing on cardboard.  BLECH!

I just can't eat plain oatmeal it's horrible.  To ME.  So I decided that I needed to kick it up a notch, make it edible, enjoyable and something I wouldn't mind eating for breakfast.  Then I set up on a journey to find granola recipes but one thing I noticed is that most used oil and I didn't want to use it but I do have and love coconut oil so when I stumbled upon this recipe from The Frugal Girl, I decided it was the one to try.

After trying many others, I think this one is my favorite.

2011_09100011

Coconut Granola


Ingredients:
6 cups regular oatmeal
1 cup nuts
1 cup dried fruit
1 cup shaved coconut or other fruit/nut
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup coconut oil
3 tbsp dark brown sugar
3 tsp vanilla extract (or almond extract)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

In a large bowl, combine oats, nuts, fruit, and coconut.

2011_09100004Heat the honey, oil and brown sugar on low heat in a small pot. Stir in extracts.

2011_09100003Pour honey mixture over oat mixture and stir well.

2011_09100005Spread onto two baking sheets.

2011_09100007Bake for 15 minutes, then stir. Bake for another 5 minutes and stir.

2011_09100009Bake in additional 2-5 minute intervals until granola is light golden brown.

3 comments:

  1. mmm...that sounds good and oh sooo easy to make!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. is it really 6 cups of oatmeal?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just made this tonight...it's delicious! I made it with almonds and cranberries. I will never buy premade granola again! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete